A writer is unfair to himself when he is unable to be hard on himself.
Topics: Authors & Writing
As contagion of sickness makes sickness, contagion of trust can make trust.
Poetry is all nouns and verbs.
When one cannot appraise out of one’s own experience, the temptation to blunder is minimized, but even when one can, appraisal seems chiefly useful as appraisal of the appraiser.
Topics: Judging, Judges, Judgment
The passion for setting people right is in itself an afflictive disease.
War is pillage versus resistance and if illusions of magnitude could be transmuted into ideals of magnanimity, peace might be realized.
Originality is … a by-product of sincerity.
Impatience is the mark of independence, not of bondage.
My father used to say superior people never make long visits.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Mark Van Doren American Poet, Critic
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Maya Angelou American Poet
- Stephen Vincent Benet American Poet
- Annie Dillard American Writer
- Langston Hughes American Poet, Writer
- Ezra Pound American Poet, Critic
- William Carlos Williams American Poet, Novelist, Cultural Historian
- Sara Teasdale American Poet