When you talk with famous scholars, the best thing is to pretend that occasionally you do not quite understand them. If you understand too little, you will be despised; if you understand too much, you will be disliked; if you just fail occasionally to understand them you will suit each other very well.
Savage as a lion, timid as a rabbit, crafty as a fox.
I used to think that a man was sentenced to death or imprisonment because he was guilty; now I know that he is found guilty because he is disliked.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- George Orwell English Novelist, Essayist, Journalist
- Junius Unidentified English Writer
- Cao Xueqin Chinese Writer
- Lin Yutang Chinese Author, Philologist
- Ford Madox Ford English Novelist, Poet, Critic
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery French Novelist, Aviator
- Joseph Conrad Polish-born British Novelist
- Mikhail Bulgakov Russian Novelist, Dramatist
- Samuel Beckett Irish Novelist, Playwright
- John Dos Passos American Novelist, Artist