I used to think that a man was sentenced to death or imprisonment because he was guilty; now I know that he is found guilty because he is disliked.
When you talk with famous scholars, the best thing is to pretend that occasionally you do not quite understand them. If you understand too little, you will be despised; if you understand too much, you will be disliked; if you just fail occasionally to understand them you will suit each other very well.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- George Orwell English Novelist, Essayist, Journalist
- Junius Unidentified English Writer
- Lin Yutang Chinese Author, Philologist
- Cao Xueqin Chinese Writer
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery French Novelist, Aviator
- John Dos Passos American Novelist, Artist
- Samuel Beckett Irish Novelist, Playwright
- Joseph Conrad Polish-born British Novelist
- Robert Musil Austrian Novelist
- Ford Madox Ford English Novelist, Poet, Critic