Talent isn’t enough. You need motivation—and persistence, too: what Steinbeck called a blend of faith and arrogance. When you’re young, plain old poverty can be enough, along with an insatiable hunger for recognition. You have to have that feeling of “I’ll show them.” If you don’t have it, don’t become a writer.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Lloyd Alexander American Writer
- Norman Mailer American Novelist, Journalist
- Cynthia Ozick American Novelist, Essayist
- Sidney Sheldon American Novelist, Screenwriter
- Herman Wouk American Novelist, Screenwriter
- Ben Hecht American Screenwriter
- Joseph Heller American Novelist
- George Steiner American Culture Critic
- James Salter American Fiction Writer
- Paul Auster American Novelist, Poet