Man, when you lose your laugh you lose your footing.
The answer is never the answer. What’s really interesting is the mystery. If you seek the mystery instead of the answer, you’ll always be seeking. I’ve never seen anybody really find the answer—they think they have, so they stop thinking. But the job is to seek mystery, evoke mystery, plant a garden in which strange plants grow and mysteries bloom. The need for mystery is greater than the need for an answer.
You can count how many seeds are in the apple, but not how many apples are in the seed.
Take what you can use and let the rest go by.
You’ve got to get out and pray to the sky to appreciate the sunshine; otherwise you’re just a lizard standing there with the sun shining on you.
I’m so insane, I voted for Eisenhower. Oh yeah, well I’m so insane, I voted for Eisenhower TWICE!
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Charles Dudley Warner American Essayist
- William S. Burroughs American Novelist
- Edward Hoagland American Essayist
- Robert A. Heinlein American Science Fiction Writer
- David Foster Wallace American Novelist, Essayist
- Philip K. Dick American Novelist
- Herman Melville American Novelist
- Vladimir Nabokov Russian-born American Novelist
- William Saroyan American Playwright, Novelist
- John Steinbeck American Novelist