The great rule is not to talk about money with people who have much more or much less than you.
The Life and Soul, the man who will never go home while there is one man, woman or glass of anything not yet drunk.
No nice men are good at getting taxis.
When it comes to housework the one thing no book of household management can ever tell you is how to begin. Or maybe I mean why.
There are some circles in America where it seems to be more socially acceptable to carry a hand-gun than a packet of cigarettes.
People get a bad impression of it by continually trying to treat it as if it was a bank clerk, who ought to be on time on Tuesday next, instead of philosophically seeing it as a painter, who may do anything so long as you don’t try to predict what.
Americans, indeed, often seem to be so overwhelmed by their children that they’ll do anything for them except stay married to the co-producer.
Too great a preoccupation with motives (especially one’s own motive) is liable to lead to too little concern for consequences.
A good listener is not someone with nothing to say. A good listener is a good talker with a sore throat.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Letty Cottin Pogrebin American Writer
- Jeanette Winterson English Novelist
- Holbrook Jackson British Journalist
- Edwin Arnold English Poet
- G. K. Chesterton English Journalist
- Malcolm Muggeridge English Journalist
- Daniel Defoe English Writer
- Germaine Greer Australia Academic
- Florence Nightingale English Nurse
- Hartley Coleridge English Writer