All our religion is but a false religion, and all our virtues are mere illusions and we ourselves are only hypocrites in the sight of God, if we have not that universal charity for everyone—for the good, and for the bad, for the poor and for the rich, and for all those who do us harm as much as those who do us good.
The virtue of obedience makes the will supple… it inspires the courage with which to fulfill the most difficult tasks.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Francis de Sales French Catholic Saint
- Vincent de Paul French Catholic Saint
- Thomas Aquinas Italian Catholic Priest
- Henri Nouwen Dutch Catholic Priest
- Bernard of Clairvaux French Catholic Religious Leader
- Blaise Pascal French Philosopher, Scientist
- Jean Baptiste Massillon French Catholic Religious Leader
- Jerome Greek Priest
- Desiderius Erasmus Dutch Humanist, Scholar
- Charles Caleb Colton English Clergyman, Aphorist