If something uncharitable is said in your presence, either speak in favor of the absent, or withdraw, or, if possible, stop the conversation.
The virtue of obedience makes the will supple… it inspires the courage with which to fulfill the most difficult tasks.
All our religion is but a false religion, and all our virtues are mere illusions and we ourselves are only hypocrites in the sight of God, if we have not that universal charity for everyone—for the good, and for the bad, for the poor and for the rich, and for all those who do us harm as much as those who do us good.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Vincent de Paul French Catholic Saint
- Francis de Sales French Catholic Saint
- Thomas Aquinas Italian Catholic Priest
- Henri Nouwen Dutch Catholic Priest
- Bernard of Clairvaux French Catholic Religious Leader
- Jean Baptiste Massillon French Catholic Religious Leader
- Blaise Pascal French Philosopher, Scientist
- Jerome Greek Priest
- Desiderius Erasmus Dutch Humanist, Scholar
- Sam Shoemaker American Episcopal Priest