When I was 40, my doctor advised me that a man in his forties shouldn’t play tennis. I heeded his advice carefully and could hardly wait until I reached 50 to start again.
A man’s inner nature is revealed by what he praises-a man is self-judged by what he says of others. Thus a man is judged by his standards, by what he considers the best. And you can’t find a more crucial test. It reveals the soul.
It is the paradox of life that the way to miss pleasure is to seek it first. The very first condition of lasting happiness is that a life should be full of purpose, aiming at something outside self. As a matter of experience, we find that true happiness comes in seeking other things, in the manifold activities of life, in the healthful outgoing of all human powers.
Topics: Goals, Happiness, Aspirations
The public welfare demands that constitutional cases must be decided according to the terms of the Constitution itself, and not according to judges’ views of fairness, reasonableness, or justice.
The United States has a system of taxation by confession.
Criticism of government finds sanctuary in several portions of the 1st Amendment. It is part of the right of free speech. It embraces freedom of the press.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. American Jurist, Author
- Earl Warren American Judge
- William Blackstone English Judge
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- Robert G. Ingersoll American Lawyer, Orator, Agnostic
- Rudy Giuliani American Politician
- William Bennett American Politician
- Harry Browne American Politician
- Thomas Brackett Reed American Politician
- Horace Greeley American Elected Rep