The only way out is the way through, just as you cannot escape from death except by dying. Being unable to write, you must examine in writing this being unable, which becomes for the present—henceforth?—the subject to which you are condemned.
Topics: Writing, Authors & Writing, Writers
Obvious enough that generalities work to protect the mind from the great outdoors; is it possible that this was in fact their first purpose?
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Stanley Kunitz American Poet
- Conrad Aiken American Poet, Novelist
- Gwendolyn Brooks American Poet, Educator
- Robert Penn Warren American Novelist, Poet
- Mark Van Doren American Poet, Critic
- Wallace Stevens American Poet
- Mark Strand American Poet, Essayist
- James Dickey American Poet, Novelist
- Robert Frost American Poet
- James Maitland Stewart American Film Actor