I think what weakens people most is fear of wasting their strength.
One must marry one’s feelings to one’s beliefs and ideas. That is probably the only way to achieve a measure of harmony in one’s life.
Topics: Accomplishment, Harmony, Success & Failure, Achievement
Every word born of an inner necessity – writing must never be anything else.
We have to fight them daily, like fleas, those many small worries about the morrow, for they sap our energies.
I do believe it is possible to create, even without ever writing a word or painting a picture, by simply molding one’s inner life. And that too is a deed.
Ultimately, we have just one moral duty: to reclaim large areas of peace in ourselves, more and more peace, and to reflect it toward others. And the more peace there is in us, the more peace there will also be in our troubled world.
If one finds the strength to deal with small things, one finds it to deal with the large ones as well.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Anne Frank German Holocaust Victim
- Baruch Spinoza Dutch Philosopher
- Henri Nouwen Dutch Catholic Priest
- Corrie Ten Boom Dutch Jewish Humanist
- Desiderius Erasmus Dutch Humanist, Scholar
- Vincent van Gogh Dutch Painter
- James Boswell Scottish Biographer, Diarist
- Murasaki Shikibu Japanese Diarist, Novelist
- Anthony Powell English Novelist
- Ayaan Hirsi Ali Dutch Politician, Activist