Being responsible sometimes means pissing people off.
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership.
Trying to get everyone to like you is a sign of mediocrity.
Leadership is the art of accomplishing more than the science of management says is possible.
There comes a time when soft power or talking with evil will not work where, unfortunately, hard power is the only thing that works.
Every organization should tolerate rebels who tell the emperor he has no clothes.
Look for intelligence and judgment and, most critically, a capacity to anticipate, to see around corners. Also look for loyalty, integrity, a high energy drive, a balanced ego and the drive to get things done.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- H. Norman Schwarzkopf American Military Leader
- Eric Shinseki American Army Officer
- Omar Bradley American Military Leader
- George S. Patton American Military Leader
- Hyman G. Rickover American Admiral
- George Marshall American Military Leader
- Douglas MacArthur American Military Leader
- Robert S. Johnson American Military Leader
- Eddie Rickenbacker American Aviator
- Albert Pike American Masonic Scholar