As I stared at the books, I suddenly understood that I didn’t know a hell of a lot about anything. What it was that seemed to move me then was that learning was important… I vowed, right then, to learn something new every day. It was a deep revelation, something I felt throughout my whole self.
The landscape should belong to the people who see it all the time.
The artist’s role is to raise the consciousness of the people. To make them understand life, the world and themselves more completely. That’s how I see it. Otherwise, I don’t know why you do it.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Langston Hughes American Poet, Writer
- Maya Angelou American Poet
- Joyce Carol Oates American Novelist
- Mark Strand American Poet, Essayist
- Audre Lorde American Poet, Feminist
- Richard Wright American Novelist, Short-Story Writer
- Alice Walker American Novelist, Activist
- Carolyn Kizer American Poet
- Eugene O’Neill American Playwright
- Wendell Berry American Author, Environmentalist