Home is a shelter from storms—all sorts of storms.
A kind and compassionate act is often its own reward.
Happiness is like a cat. If you try to coax it or call it, it will avoid you; it will never come. But if you pay not attention to it and go about your business, you’ll find it rubbing against your legs and jumping into your lap.
Give yourself an even greater challenge than the one you are trying to master and you will develop the powers necessary to overcome the original difficulty.
Topics: Difficulty, Challenges
A weakened sense of responsibility does not weaken the fact of responsibility.
Responsible persons are mature people who have taken charge of themselves and their conduct, who own their actions and own up to them—who answer for them.
The elementary school must assume as its sublime and most solemn responsibility the task of teaching every child in it to read. Any school that does not accomplish this has failed.
Topics: School, Accomplishment
Our schools should get five years to get back to where they were in 1963. If they’re still bad maybe we should declare educational bankruptcy, give the people their money and let them educate themselves and start their own schools.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Rudy Giuliani American Politician
- Harry Browne American Politician
- Stewart Udall American Politician
- Robert F. Kennedy American Politician
- Robert G. Ingersoll American Lawyer, Orator, Agnostic
- Hugo Black American Politician
- Thomas Brackett Reed American Politician
- Horace Greeley American Elected Rep
- George Madison Adams American Politician
- Earl Warren American Judge