The history of science is a long unbroken chain of elaboration, deviation, and rectification, re-creation, followed by reassessment, renewed deviation and rectification, and renewed creation. It has been a long, arduous course, and we have hardly begun. Honest pioneer work in the field of science has always been and will continue to be, life’s pilot. On all sides, life is surrounded by hostility. This puts us under an obligation.
Only the liberation of the natural capacity for love in human beings can master their sadistic destructiveness.
Love, work and knowledge are the well-springs of our life. They should also govern it.
The fact that political ideologies are tangible realities is not a proof of their vitally necessary character. The bubonic plague was an extraordinarily powerful social reality, but no one would have regarded it as vitally necessary.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Martin Buber Austrian Jewish Philosopher
- Viktor Frankl Austrian Psychiatrist
- Leon Trotsky Russian Revolutionary
- Albert Einstein German-born Theoretical Physicist
- Erich Fromm German Social Philosopher
- Stephen Jay Gould American Paleontologist
- Alfred Adler Austrian Psychiatrist
- Rosa Luxemburg German Socialist, Revolutionary
- Abbie Hoffman American Political Activist
- Carl Sagan American Astronomer