Well does Heaven take care that no man secures happiness by crime.
Original thoughts can be understood only in virtue of the unoriginal elements which they contain.
The guilty is he who meditates a crime; the punishment is his who lays the plot.
First thoughts are not always the best.
There is a silence, the child of love, which expresses everything, and proclaims more loudly than the tongue is able to do.
Heaven will permit no man to secure happiness by crime.
Almost all my tragedies were sketched in my mind, either in the act of hearing music, or a few hours after.
Disgrace is not in the punishment, but in the crime.
Wondering Whom to Read Next?
- Luigi Pirandello Italian Dramatist
- Pietro Aretino Italian Author
- Benito Mussolini Italian Head of State
- Thomas Aquinas Italian Catholic Priest
- Galileo Galilei Italian Astronomer
- Giacomo Leopardi Italian Poet
- Dante Alighieri Italian Poet, Philosopher
- Leonardo da Vinci Italian Polymath
- Italo Calvino Italian Novelist, Writer
- Moshe Chaim Luzzatto Italian Jewish Rabbi